THRIVING SMALL TOWN NEWSPAPERS AFFLICTING METRO NEWSPAPERS

The other day i read an article in a magazine which focused on thriving small town newspapers afflicting the nation's metropolitan daily newspapers have far more to do with the collapse of the monopoly distribution model then with the quality of reporting in those newspapers.
Community newspapers are doing quite nicely because they have not forgotten their mission, their responsibility to their readers, the service they must provide to their advertisers, their duty to report the good and the bad; to expose corrupt public servants who betray the public trust and seek to serve themselves first at the expense of the taxpayers.
I'm willing to grant that small-town papers have been less likely to get bloated and arrogant and out-of-touch than their big-city brethren. The rest is a load of hooey, though. A few community newspapers do a great job of serving their readers and exposing corrupt public servants. Many more do a great job of publishing photos of their readers, but generally shy away from any exposing of corruption.

But all of them benefit from the reality that
--their communities are too small for webworld facilities to have gotten to
--in most cases they serve populations less transient and less Internet-addicted than those of big metropolitan areas
--nobody ever looked to them for national or international news, so the fact that you can get all that on the Internet now is irrelevant
--the real estate bust hammering many newspapers now has been mostly a big-metro-area phenomenon.



4 comments:

Harshad said...

Well I feel something different about the newspaper. If you go through the management of some of the newspaper companies you will find many of the top posts are occupied by people who are related in some way or other to a political party. I am not very sure about the local newspaper, but I do feel the same structure would be followed there.
But anyways having stepped into the 21st century the power of flash news through internet can hardly be denied. And then it does not matter from where the news is cropping up. Sites like google news have feeds from numerous newspaper all round the world and in as many languages as you can think of.

Anonymous said...

Sup i am new here. I hit upon this forum I find It very accessible and it has helped me alot. I should be able to contribute & aid other users like its helped me.

Thanks, Catch You Later.

Anonymous said...

Hi-ya i'm fresh to this. I hit upon this site I have found It incredibly useful & its helped me alot. I hope to give something back and assist other people like its helped me.

Thanks, Catch You Around

Anonymous said...

Whats's Up i'm new here, I came accross this forum I have found It quite helpful & its helped me alot. I hope to give something back & support other users like it has helped me.

Thank You, See Ya About.

Eccentric Expressor's Headline Animator

Blogger Widgets